Slips, trips and falls are among the most common causes of serious accidents and injuries in Ireland and across the EU; this is especially so in the workplace. Employers and public and private businesses all work extremely hard to identify and mitigate the risk of slips, trips and falls, and must put in place policies and procedures to do so. However, such are the multitude of underlying factors which can lead to an accident of this nature, it is not always possible to prevent such events.
Whether it be slipping on an icy surface, falling from a height, or tripping over a defect in the pavement, the risks are all around us. In some cases, accidents of this type may be due to actions or decisions made by the person affected, and in others, it is the actions (or inaction) of other individuals, organisations, or businesses which have caused the incident to occur. If it is the fault of another party, this may be grounds for a legal claim.
At Lavelle Partners, over the past three decades, we have assisted many clients to successfully bring a claim for slip, trip, and fall injuries, some of which have been extremely serious, and in some cases have led to a fatality. It is our role to look at the precise circumstances of the accident to determine if what happened was truly a case of negligence by another party, and if so, create a compelling case based on the facts and evidence available.
Our personal injury team, led by Avril Scally, understand the impact of slip, trip and fall injuries on those directly affected, and their family and loved ones. For the victim of the accident, their injuries may require surgery and ongoing therapy, taking a toll on the ability of the individual to work and resume their normal life. Apart from the pain and suffering, they are likely to be under considerable emotional strain and concerned about the impact on their family. Our slip, trip and fall personal injury solicitors will support and guide you and your family every step of the way, from the point you first contact us until your claim is completed.
What factors can lead to avoidable slips, trips and falls?
There are a multitude of possible causal factors which may lead to a slip, trip, or fall:
- Falls from a height – failure to implement protective netting to arrest a fall, tether tools and equipment used when working at a height, or provide safety harnesses.
- Slipping – failure to put in place and enforce health and safety policies and procedures to prevent and manage slippery surfaces, prevent leaks, cordon off dangerous areas, provide appropriate footwear, and provide health and safety training regarding slip risks.
- Trips – Failure to ensure thoroughfares are kept free of obstruction at all times, ensure effective lighting, and ensure floors are level and safe.
All businesses and organisations know they must manage these risks constantly due to the danger of serious injury to their employees and members of the public.
Who is liable for my slip, trip or fall injury?
Slip, trip, or fall injuries can be caused by accidents due to negligence in a range of contexts including (but not limited to):
- Educational establishments
- Public facilities
- Road traffic accidents
- Healthcare settings
- Military facilities
- Supermarkets or other retail establishments
- Construction sites
Regardless of where the injury occurred, it will be necessary to establish who is at fault for the accident. Depending on the situation, this may be a local authority, public entity, building contractor, employer, a private company or an individual.
Do I have grounds for a slip, trip or fall injury claim?
This means that in some contexts, it may not be possible to make a claim because there is a lack of proof that negligence occurred. One of our primary roles will be to establish if there are grounds for a claim.
If you are unsure if the circumstances of your slip, trip or fall injury are grounds for a claim, please contact one of our personal injury solicitors today who will take the time to listen to the details of your case and advise you of your legal options.
What may a claim for slip, trip or fall injury cover?
Claims for slip, trip or fall related injuries due to negligence may cover two areas of loss:
- Pain and suffering due to the injury;
- Specific costs resulting from the injury caused. This may cover costs already incurred, such as transport, accommodation, and medical treatment, and expected future expenses, such as physical therapy and care costs.
The costs you receive will be based on the precise injuries suffered and the circumstances of the case.
How Lavelle Partners slip, trip and fall personal injury solicitors can assist you in bringing a claim
- Lavelle Partners have successfully managed many cases of slip, trip or fall injury caused by the negligence of another party.
- Our personal injury team, headed by partner, Avril Scally, who herself has over 15 years’ experience in personal injury claims, place client care at the centre of everything they do.
- From the first moment you speak to one of our solicitors, we will listen to your case carefully and with empathy and will only recommend advancing your case if we believe you have a valid case.
- We have both the legal expertise and understanding of the real-life challenges faced by individuals and their families following such events.
- Our solicitors will manage the process entirely on your behalf; compiling the information necessary for your case, including medical notes and managing the submission of your personal injury claim.
By allowing us to handle your claim on your behalf, you can focus on what is most important, your recovery and care, or that of your family member or loved one.
For further information on making a claim for a slip, trip or fall injury in Ireland, please contact Lavelle Partners in confidence on (01) 644 5800 or email Avril Scally at mailto:[email protected]